Local Council Tax reduction replaced Council Tax Benefit from the 1st April 2013
The Council Tax Reduction Scheme provides financial assistance to help people on a low income. As the scheme is means-tested, the amount you receive depends on your income plus the size and needs of your household. The level of support that can be provided is up to 100% of your Council Tax liability depending on your circumstances.
To be entitled to Council Tax Reduction you must satisfy three basic conditions;
- you must be liable to pay Council Tax;
- you must live in the property for which you are liable to pay Council Tax;
- you must be on a low income and have less than £16,000 in savings, capital or investments unless you receive the Guarantee Element of Pension Credit
Council Tax Reduction is means tested; the amount you receive will be calculated based on the following;
- money you and your partner have coming in, including earnings, benefits, tax credits and pensions
- you and your partner's capital, savings and investments.
- your circumstances, such as your age, the number of people in your household and the ages of your children; whether you or any of your household are disabled
If you are entitled to a Council Tax reduction it will be shown on your Council Tax bill along with any balance you need to pay.
You can use our benefit calculator to get an estimate of how much benefit you may be entitled to.
Find out how to claim benefit at how do I make a claim?
Find out when your benefit will start at when will my benefit start?
For further information - please refer to our will you qualify? leaflet and our Entitlement Guides – see Related Information.
Please refer to the Council Tax Reduction Scheme Policy to view full details of scheme