Home boarding licences

You must apply/hold a licence from us if you take a dog/s into your home for any length of time in return for payment, this may include dog walkers. Please contact licensing for further clarification.

A full list of licensed home boarder/daycare and kennels/catteries/dog breeders/riding establishments and training/exhibition of animals can be accessed on the public register of licences and registrations.

Existing licence holders and anyone planning to apply for a licence should read the Animal Welfare (licensing of activities involving animals) Regulations 2018 and the DEFRA guidance.

Apply for a licence

In order to make an application, you must fill out one of the following forms:

Licence fees

You must then send the form to us with the appropriate fee, giving 28 days notice.

Further guidance

For further information please read the animal boarding establishment conditions and guidance for your information.

How long will it take to receive the licence?

You can expect to hear from us normally within 60 days.


If you have a complaint about a animal boarding establishment then please contact us for advice.

If this method does not work, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice will give you advice. From outside the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

For more information, please contact us.

Online enquiries form

Visits to the licensing service are by appointment only. Please call us on 01423 500600 or email at licensing@harrogate.gov.uk