Parking in Harrogate town centre has become easier thanks to the launch of AppyParking - a smart parking system that is the first of its kind in the UK.
Users who download the app via App Store or Google Play will see real-time availability of spaces across Harrogate town centre, be able to navigate to the space and pay for a parking session with a single-click.
Using AppyParking is easy, just follow these easy steps:
- Download the free AppyParking app. Available on iOS and Android.
- Create a profile, register a payment card and vehicle registration number - it should only take a couple of minutes.
- If you are unfamiliar with the town, you can use the app to navigate to a location with spaces available in real-time. Just look for the green circles on the parking pins to see if there is a space. If you already know where you want to park you don't need to do anything.
- Once you've safely parked and turned off your engine, you can use the app to begin the parking session. Simply select 'Park Now' and follow the steps to begin your parking session.
- When you're finished, just drive off and the session will end automatically and you'll be charged for the exact time you were parked.
You'll receive a receipt via email after your stay.
How much does it cost when paying for parking with the app?
Instead of pre-paying in half hour or hourly increments at the machine, users of the app benefit from 'linear pricing'.
The normal rules and tariffs at the chosen location apply, but beyond the minimum stay, typically 30 minutes on-street and 1 hour in car parks, app users pay per minute.
Users are also charged an additional 30p convenience fee.
Why is there a convenience fee?
This is typical for all cashless parking app solutions and ensures that the operational cost can be covered and the local authority receives the full revenue from each parking session.
Can I still use the pay and display ticket machines?
Absolutely, the app runs in parallel to the existing parking systems, meaning drivers can still choose to pay and display if they so wish.
What if the sensor doesn't recognise my phone?
If the app does not sync with a sensor, it'll direct you a 'Pay for Parking' session - you just need to select the location and return time. In the app you can extend your stay if you need to, and even end parking session early and so only be pay for the time you were there.
What if my smartphone battery dies during a session?
When you drive away you will still be charged for that period. However, you won't receive any push notifications about approaching your maximum stay (if applicable).
How will traffic wardens know that I have used AppyParking to park?
When a traffic warden sees a vehicle without a pay and display ticket on display, their handheld device will confirm whether the vehicle has paid for a parking session via the app using your vehicle registration number.
Are you suggesting drivers should use smartphones when driving?
Not at all - users of the app agree to use it safely and in accordance with the Highway Code. Exactly the same as someone would if using a navigation app.
Once someone has found a parking space and parked safely, which means the engine is off, they can legally use AppyParking to start their session and pay for parking. They can do this in the car, or stood next to it.
How do I know if the parking space has been taken before I arrive?
You won't be able to know for sure if someone has taken the space you want during your journey, but the app will tell you the number of available bays available in a chosen location. Choosing an area with more than one free space will help mitigate the chance of a space not being available.
Page last updated 28/01/2019