Benefit appeals

When we've made a decision about your benefit, we'll write to tell you what amount you're entitled to.

You can ask us to look at it again, if you think we're wrong. You should contact us within one month of the date on your decision notice and send us any extra information or evidence that may support your case.

If you do this, we'll look at our decision again. This is called a reconsideration. We may then decide to:

  • change our decision - if we revise your claim, we'll write and tell you
  • uphold our decision - if we decide not to change our original decision, we'll write to you to explain why we believe the decision is correct

If you still disagree with our decision, you have the right to ask for this to be looked at by an independent tribunal. This is called an appeal.

Housing benefit appeals

You must make your appeal in writing to us; it's important you provide full details of the reason for your appeal. You should do this within one month of the date we send you the outcome of your reconsideration request.

We will then prepare the papers and submit your appeal to the independent tribunal service.

They will contact you to give you a date for a hearing, which you may wish to attend. A judge will make an independent decision about your claim and will notify you of this direct.

Council tax reduction appeals

You must make your appeal directly to the independent valuation tribunal using their form.

You must do this within two months of the date we send you the outcome of your reconsideration request.

You can't appeal to the valuation tribunal unless you asked us to reconsider your claim first.

The valuation tribunal will keep you informed of how your case will proceed, including the date of your appeal hearing if you wish to attend in person. They'll write to you with the decision. If this is to change the original decision of the council, we'll write to you again to tell you of the change to your award.

Contact us

To ask us for an explanation, or to tell us you disagree with our decision and begin the appeals process, complete our reconsideration request form or write to us separately. You may also seek independent advice from someone like the Citizens Advice Bureau, who may be able to help you with your appeal.

Reconsideration request form

Enquiries form