Change of circumstances

It's very important that you tell us about any changes in your circumstances, or those of any member of your household, as soon as they happen.

This is to make sure you don't lose money you're entitled to, or receive too much money which you'll have to pay back.

Examples of changes you should tell us about are:

  • a change of address
  • income and capital changes - such as wage increases, starting a new job, savings going up and down
  • changes to members of your household - someone moving in or out
  • rent changes - such as your rent goes up or down
  • tenants moving out - if you're a landlord

You can report a change online

Report a change

If you do delay in reporting a change that means you receive too much benefit, this could lead to prosecution for benefit fraud.

If you're not sure whether you should tell us about something, please ask us for help.

In all cases, you'll need to send us evidence of the change. We can only accept original documents, not photocopies. Details of the evidence we need can be found on the evidence requirements page.

Enquiries form