Tier 2 restrictions for the Harrogate district
When the national lockdown in England ends on 2 December, our district will be subject to new Tier 2 "high alert" restrictions until further notice.
The gov.uk website has the detail on what this means for your business.
Support remains in place for businesses affected by Covid-19. The government website has advice on funding, help for self-employed workers or sole traders and how to run your business safely if it is permitted to open.
Financial support for your business during the national lockdown
Applications are now being accepted for the government's Local Restrictions Support Grant (LRSG). Your business may be eligible for a grant if it:
- is situated in the Harrogate district
- occupies property on which it pays business rates (and is the ratepayer)
- has been required to close for at least 14 days because of the restrictions
- has been unable to provide its usual in-person customer service from its premises. For example, this could include non-essential retail and personal services that operate primarily as an in-person venue, but which have been forced to close those services and provide a takeaway-only service instead
Your business won't be eligible for the grant if:
- it is not rated for business rates purposes
- it has not been ordered to close or stop trading
- it was not operating before the restrictions were imposed
Your business may be eligible for a grant of up to £3,000 depending on the rateable value of the business premises. If your business has more than one eligible premises you will receive a grant for each one.
The government has provided local councils with grant funding to support eligible businesses that are severely impacted by the latest coronavirus lockdown restrictions. It is called the Additional Restrictions Grant (ARG).
It is to support:
- businesses that have had to close but do not directly pay business rates (such as those occupying a shared workspace)
- businesses that are not required to close but have been significantly impacted by the lockdown restrictions (such as suppliers to the retail, hospitality and leisure sectors and businesses in the events sector)
We are administering the Additional Restrictions Grant scheme in the Harrogate district. We are working hard to open applications as soon as possible. We hope this will be mid-December.
Please keep checking this page for updates.
We've put together a business toolkit to provide you with practical safety advice, guidance and supporting materials to help your business operate safely while the Covid-19 pandemic continues.
North Yorkshire County Council has also produced a set of publicity materials which may be useful to your business.
For updates on other support and advice in the Harrogate district, please consider subscribing to our business newsletter.
Transition period - the UK has left the EU
Find out what this means for your business.
There is now a transition period until the end of 2020 while the UK and EU negotiate additional arrangements. The current rules on trade, travel, and business for the UK and EU will continue to apply during the transition period.
New rules will take effect on 1 January 2021. Check how to get your business ready for the new rules by visiting www.gov.uk/transition
There’s further information on our dedicated EU transition period page which includes details of the EU Settlement Scheme.
Call to actions
Business support, funding and services
Advice, grants and services for businesses.
Business rates and Business Improvement Districts
Information on how to pay less and view your account online.
Business news and events
Subscribe to our free newsletter. Join business networks, events and workshops. Contact local business organisations.
Social media support for businesses
We are working with Maybe* - an online platform that helps businesses improve the results they achieve through social media.
Find business premises with Propertyfinder. View council owned properties.
Find out why Harrogate is a great place for your business.
Economic Growth Strategy
Supporting business, creating high-value jobs.
Skills, training and careers: develop your workforce
Information, funding and support, including: apprenticeships, internships, skills plans and talent pipeline.
Digital and telecoms
Superfast broadband is here and extending across the Harrogate district.