House to house collection permit


Apply to hold a house to house collection in the district by filling in our application form. Any supporting documents you should send with the application are detailed on the form.

Send the completed form and information to or write to Licensing, Harrogate Borough Council, PO Box 787, Harrogate HG1 9RW.

You should also complete the charitable collection income and expenditure return form and send it to us.

A house-to-house collection licence is also needed for a business-to-business collection. Direct debit solicitation (clip board collecting) house to house does need a licence.

Collections covering a specific area lasting, say, for one day can be exempt from a licence. But you should contact your local police station's administration section for approval and receive an exemption certificate.

Permits can last for anything form one week to a year, and permission can be refused. You can appeal against a licence refusal, or about attached conditions, to the Minister of the Cabinet Office within 14 days of the decision.

Tacit consent

This means that you'll be able to act as though your application is granted if you haven't heard from us by the end of the 28-day target period. Tacit consent will only apply once a full application has been submitted and you've received an acknowledgment.

If there are any licence complaints or appeals, please contact us for advice.

Online enquiries form

Visits to the licensing service are by appointment only. Please call us on 01423 500600 or email at

Licence fees