You have to apply in writing to our licensing section to hold a street collection in the district.
Permits are usually only given to charities registered with the Charities Commission. You should apply on your charity's headed paper bearing the Commission's registration number. If you're not directly involved with the charity, you should enclose a letter of endorsement from the charity with your own application letter.
Please send all necessary documentation to [email protected] or to Licensing, Harrogate Borough Council, PO Box 787, Harrogate HG1 9RW. You can also call 01423 556843.
Street collecting in Harrogate district
- if your charity has not collected in the district before, you should send supporting documents with your application letter. This should include a copy of the most recent published accounts and could also include leaflets and other publications issued by the organisation. It's always useful, though, to receive up-to-date publications from long-standing applicants
- please apply by the end of November for a street collection date the following year. The council's licensing committee allocates all the available collecting dates at its meeting in January/February. After that, any remaining dates are allocated by licensing staff
- you can collect in more than one town in the district in any year but only on one occasion in each location
- only one organisation is allowed to collect in a town on a particular date
- the usual collecting period runs from March to October, with only a few exceptions
- applications for Christmas collections in December should be made to the council's highways section. Please call 01423 556609 for more details
- collections in Harrogate are held on a Saturday; in Knaresborough and Ripon on either the Saturday or market day in any week (Wednesday and Thursday respectively); and on request in Boroughbridge, Pateley Bridge and Masham
If you're in a town centre and believe that bogus collectors may be operating, don't hesitate to contact licensing on 01423 556843 during normal office hours. Staff will contact the Police if necessary. At weekends, please contact the Police directly.
Visits to the licensing service are by appointment only. Please call us on 01423 500600 or email at [email protected]