How to make a benefit claim

There are a number of ways to make a claim for housing benefit and council tax reduction. You can use our claim form to apply for both.

You can apply online

Benefits claim form

By visiting us at the Civic Centre, St Lukes Avenue, Harrogate, HG1 2AE - we'll help you complete a claim if you need extra support

If you need extra help to make a claim, our welfare officer may be able to visit you at home or we can arrange to complete a claim with you over the telephone. Please contact us on 01423 500600 for further information.

You can also claim housing benefit in the following ways:

  • through Jobcentre Plus when you claim income support, jobseeker's allowance or employment support allowance
  • through the pension service when you claim pension credit

Evidence requirements

If you make a new claim for housing benefit or council tax reduction, we'll need to see evidence of identity, income, capital and rent for you, your partner and any other adult living with you. We need to see original documents, not copies.

If any of these change, you'll need to send us further evidence to show the changes as soon as it happens.

The list of items we'll need to verify and the type of documents we'll accept as proof can be seen here on the evidence requirements page.

How to get an estimate of your entitlement

If you have savings, capital or investments worth £16,000 or more, you won't qualify for benefit, unless you're also getting pension credit guarantee.

You can use the free benefit calculator on the entitledto website to get an estimate of your benefit entitlement.

Please note: If you are in receipt of universal credit the results of the benefit calculator may not be accurate.

Universal credit

The government is currently reforming the welfare system to reduce costs and simplify the benefit process.

A number of changes have been introduced since 2013, including the council tax reduction scheme, universal credit, the benefit cap, personal independence payments, changes to the state pension, and the national living wage.

To claim universal credit you must set up a universal credit account to complete the application, you will also manage your ongoing claim online through this account. You will therefore need regular online access to keep your circumstances up to date and ensure you are paid correctly.

How to apply for universal credit

For further information on universal credit, or to make a claim please visit

Please note universal credit customers must make a separate claim for council tax reduction.

Further benefit Information

To find out about and apply for other benefits please visit

Enquiries form