Paying your rent

There are several ways to pay your rent:


Online payment service provides:

  • 24-hour service convenience
  • secure payments
  • the chance to pay all your Harrogate Borough Council bills and notices

By direct debit

If you have a bank account, you can pay your rent by monthly direct debit.

We'll work out how much rent you have to pay for the rest of the current financial year and divide it by the number of months left over which we're able to collect payments. You have the option of paying on the 1st or 15th of each month. Your housing office can tell you how much your payments will be.

If your rent changes during the year because of housing benefit, we'll recalculate the figure for the remaining installments and you'll be sent a letter telling you what the new monthly payment will be.

By telephone

Our automated 24-hour payment line number is 01423 556174. You can pay using a debit card but we don't accept credit cards for rent payments.

At the Post Office

You can pay your rent by cash or cheque at any post office in the district. You must pay by the end of Thursday for the payment to reach your rent account that week.

At any retailer showing the Paypoint logo

There are several shops, newsagents and garages in the district that have this service. Please pay by the end of Thursday to ensure you're not in arrears.

By bank standing order

If you have a current account, you can set up a standing order to pay your rent weekly or monthly. If your rent changes, you must contact the bank or building society and ask them to change the amount. There's a time delay in the money being taken from your bank account and reaching your rent account if you use this method, so you may be asked to make extra payments in advance to ensure that your rent account doesn't fall into arrears while the standing order is being set up.

Standing order online form

Help with paying your rent

If you need help paying your rent, you may be entitled to housing benefit and universal credit, or your housing officer could offer you help and advice.

Rent arrears

If you're in arrears, we'll try to reach a realistic agreement for you to repay the amount due over a period of time. We follow a legal procedure.

View your rent account online

If you are a council tenant you can now view your rent account online. You will be able to:

  • view your rent statement
  • check your balance and pay your rent
  • contact us and tell us of a change

Your account details are held securely, so to access them you will need to register or sign in to your My Harrogate customer account. Once you are signed in, go to the My accounts tab to add access to your rent account. You will need your rent reference number which you will find on your rent statement.