Energy efficiency

There is a lot you can do in your home to keep your energy bills down.

Upgrading your boiler and insulation, switching suppliers, and finding other savings with the help of a smart meter can all cut costs and cut energy pollution.

The council is part of a number of schemes to help you keep your energy bills under control.

Help and advice for residents: Warm and Well in North Yorkshire

Warm and Well in North Yorkshire offers advice and hands-on support to hundreds of local residents every year.

Help can include:

  • home visits to make your home warmer and more energy efficient, or for help with minor repairs
  • advice on how to save money on energy costs, switching suppliers, grants, and priority services
  • access to a Hardship Fund for those in urgent need

Who is eligible for help?

The Warm and Well project aims to support:

  • people on low incomes or benefits
  • over 65s
  • families with young children
  • anyone with physical or mental health issues

Referral form - eligibility

The project is funded by North Yorkshire County Council and managed on their behalf by Citizens Advice mid-North Yorkshire. Please call 01609 767555.

Free home advice visits: Green Doctors

You can directly book a free home visit from a Green Doctor for yourself or someone you know who may be eligible. The scheme is being run by the charity Groundwork.

You Green Doctor can provide support, information, and advice on:

  • switching energy suppliers
  • applying for the Warm Homes Discount and getting grants for insulation and central heating
  • energy bills and fuel debt
  • ways to help you reduce costs

Your Green Doctor can also install simple energy-saving measures, energy-efficient light bulbs, draught excluders, reflective radiator panels, pipe lagging, and hot water tank jackets. Please call 0113 238 0601.

Information for council tenants and housing association tenants

If you live in a council house you can find more information about how we plan to improve energy efficiency in your home on the council house modernisation and improvements page.

For enquiries about the decent homes housing quality standard, please use this form:

Decent homes programme enquiries

If you rent from a housing association you can ask them about their plans to improve the energy efficiency of your home.

Smart meters

Smart meters are the new generation of gas and electricity meters that will replace the traditional meters in our homes.

Smart meters let you see exactly how much energy you're using as you use it, and what it is costing in pounds and pence. They take regular readings and share these directly with your energy supplier through a secure wireless network, putting an end to estimated bills and manual meter readings.

Smart Energy GB is the voice of the smart meter rollout

Council policies and plans

Under the Home Energy Conservation Act 1995, we are required to publish a progress report every two years which shows how we intend to tackle home energy conservation in our area.

We have published the following Statement of Intent for the Energy Company Obligation. The statement lists the criteria we will use to identify households who may be able to receive assistance under the flexible eligibility part of the Energy Company Obligation.

LA Flexible Eligibility Statement of Intent Countywide version 1 January 2023 redacted
ECO Flexible Eligibility Statement of Intent version 2 redacted
ECO Flexible Eligibility Statement of Intent version 1 redacted