Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards

Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) Regulations were introduced by the Government on 1 April 2018.

Government guidance detailing landlord responsibilities and how to register an exemption.

Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards policy

For further advice and support please contact or call 01423 500600 to speak to the compliance officer within private sector housing.

Energy Performance Certificate Register

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) details how to make the property more energy efficient.

Currently, privately rented properties must achieve an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of E as a minimum. Landlords are prevented by law from renting out a property with a rating of F or G. This applies to new and existing tenancies.

Find an EPC assessor

Find your EPC rating

Home Upgrade Grants (HUG)

From June 2022 applications for the next phase of Home Upgrade Grant and Local Authority Delivery funding for energy efficiency improvements will be considered. This grant could be for loft insulation or cavity wall insulation. You can record your interest now by emailing, the team will take your contact details and be in touch after 1 June 2022.

All grants are subject to a home survey and confirmation of eligibility.