Financial help and advice

We want to advise and support you if are having financial problems which are making it difficult for you to pay your bills. The key thing is to try to deal with the problem before it gets out of hand.

We can help with:

  • drawing up a formal financial statement based on your income and expenditure to assist you in prioritising debt and managing your money better
  • offer advice on debt recovery procedures including court action and visits from enforcement agents (bailiffs)
  • provide help with housing benefit and council tax reduction, including applications for discretionary housing payments, if you are struggling to pay your rent
  • direct you to appropriate agencies (many listed below).

Please contact us on 01423 500600.

If you're struggling with debt or budgeting and are finding it hard to meet your everyday living costs, these services may be able to offer you help and support.

Leeds Credit Union is here to provide affordable loans at fair rates of interest as well as flexible savings plans. Our members enjoy our straightforward, honest approach to their money.

  • personal loans
  • savings accounts
  • saving from pay
  • bill paying account
  • young savers - for under 18s
  • Christmas savings club
  • business loans
  • pre-paid card

For more information please visit

Citizens Advice provide free advice on debt management and can advise you of other benefits to which you may be entitled

Harrogate Borough Council housing support can support you if you're at risk of losing your home and need help to sort out rent/bills and need help with money management

National Debtline can provide free, confidential debt advice for domestic and business debts


Christians Against Poverty

The Money Advice Service

For specific help regarding housing the following agencies can offer assistance:

Essential Needs - can provide low-cost second-hand furniture and household goods to people on low incomes

Other welfare benefits - the Department for Work and Pensions website gives general guidance on other welfare benefits you may be able to claim

North Yorkshire Local Assistance Fund provides support for vulnerable people to help with moving into or helping to stay in the community

Shelter advice on housing, benefits and debt management

Discretionary housing payments can give you extra financial help if you're already getting housing benefit or the housing element of universal credit but you're still finding it hard to pay your rent.

If you have arrears with your utilities please contact any of the trusts detailed below:

British Gas
EDF Energy

It is always worthwhile checking for cheaper utility rates on the appropriate comparison sites or looking at having a smart metre installed. Always check with your landlord first or housing officer.

Water meters

Details and requests to switch can be made to Yorkshire Water. You can also use the water calculator to assess the potential benefits of a switch.

Water calculator
Yorkshire Water

If you are a Housing Tenant and wish to have a water meter fitted, please ensure you get written permission from your Housing Officer first. Yorkshire water will only fit a water meter if they have written confirmation from the landlord of your property.

Smart meters

Smart meters can give you better control of your energy use and may help you save money on your energy bills.

A guide to smart meters.

Low Cost Household White Goods

Visit Smarter Buys website to see how much you could save on brand new household white goods.