We're responsible for licensing premises for gambling in the district and for giving advice.
Before a licence is issued, we follow guidance from the Gambling Commission and the three licensing objectives:
- keeping gambling crime free
- making sure that gambling is fair and open
- protecting children and vulnerable adults
Apply for a licence/permit
Licences/permits issued by us include:
- premises licence - for the premises to provide gambling activities
- licensed premises gaming machines - pubs, restaurants or hotels (licensed for alcohol)
- temporary and occasional use notices - allows gambling where there is no premises licence for a temporary gambling event, or allows betting on a track on eight days or less in a calendar year, without the need for a premises licence
- small society lotteries - charitable, sports, athletics, cultural or non-commercial societies
The Gambling Commission issues operating and personal licences, as well as those for regulating gambling via the internet, phone, TV, or computer. More information can be found on the Gambling Commission website.
This means that you'll be able to act as though your application is granted if you've not heard from us by the end of the 28-day target period. Tacit consent will only apply once a full application has been submitted and you've received an acknowledgment.
Visits to the licensing service are by appointment only. Please call us on 01423 500600 or email at [email protected]