Disabled facilities grant

A disabled facilities grant (DFG) is financial support which will enable you (if you're a homeowner, private tenant or tenant of a social landlord such as the council or housing association) to adapt your home(s) in order to meet the needs of any disabled children or adults living there.

As it's a grant, the money you receive does not need to be paid back. However, your eligibility for a grant depends on your financial circumstances. We call this 'means-testing'.

What sort of work does a DFG cover?

In order for a DFG to be approved, an occupational therapist first carries out an assessment of you and your home and may consequently make a number of recommendations.

Upon assessment, the following adaptations may be recommended:

  • to allow a disabled person to get into and out of the property, and to be able to use the main family room, a bedroom, a bath or shower and toilet
  • to allow a disabled person to prepare and cook food
  • to allow a disabled person to move around the home
  • to allow a disabled person to care for a dependent
  • to make the home safe for the disabled person
  • to allow a disabled person to use a source of power, heat or light
  • to enable access to the garden where this is reasonable and practical

Where funding allows, we may also be able to assist with heating.

Usually, the occupational therapist won't recommend an aid or adaptation unless it is for one of the reasons in the list. They will make their best judgement on a case-by-case basis.

If they make a recommendation that doesn't meet one of the criteria in the list, an alternative way of paying for any measures will need to be found.

How much financial support is available?

The maximum grant is £30,000.

The amount you may receive depends on your financial circumstances and those of anyone you live with, such as a spouse or partner if you have one.

We call this means testing which will assess your income and any savings you have.

The test of resources is based on the system of calculating entitlement to housing benefit. For those not on a "passporting" benefit the calculation can be complex. Our needs and support assistant will complete and calculate the test of resources for you.

Who can apply for a DFG?

You can apply for a DFG provided you are aged 18 or over.

The amount you may receive depends on your financial circumstances and those of anyone you live with, such as a spouse or partner if you have one.

Private landlords, parents and guardians of a disabled person can also apply on behalf of a tenant or a loved one.

If you receive the following benefits, you will not have to contribute towards the cost of the work:

  • guaranteed pension credit
  • housing benefit
  • universal credit
  • income related employment support allowance
  • income based job seekers allowance
  • working tax credit with an annual income of less than £15,050
  • child tax credit with an annual income of less than £15,050
  • adaptations for children and young people under the age of 18 are no longer means tested, so a grant of up to £30,000 is available

How do I apply for a DFG?

The process begins with an assessment by an occupational therapist. This will be followed by a series of visits from our staff so we can discuss the proposed adaptations with you.

We'll also carry out a technical survey to make sure the works can be carried out properly.

We'll then work on the approval paperwork and send it to you. Works can then begin. Once they are completed, our staff and the occupational therapist will return to make sure everything is in order.

What do I need to do next?

We're here to provide you with help and support with your application for a DFG.

If you need some general advice, you are welcome to call us on 01423 500600 x56899 or send an email to privatehousing@harrogate.gov.uk.

If you're ready to get the ball rolling, you need to arrange for an occupational therapist assessment. Please contact North Yorkshire County Council social services on 01609 780780 or send an email to social.care@northyorks.gov.uk.

Please bear in mind, there may be a waiting list for assessments.

Other helpful information

Disabled Facilities Adaptations Policy for private homeowners, private rented and housing associations.

All requests for major adaptations are assessed by occupational therapists from North Yorkshire County Council. More information about this can be found on the county council website.