Home Upgrade Grant

We're offering grant funded insulation for low income households through our Home Upgrade Grant (HUG).

HUG funding is available to you whether you own or privately rent your home, subject to the eligibility criteria. Permission will also be required from your landlord if you're in private rented accommodation.

The following types of insulation are available:

  • loft Insulation and draft proofing
  • cavity wall insulation

To be eligible all of the following criteria apply:

  • the total household income must be less than £30,000 (subject to eligibility) annually
  • the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for the property must have a rating of E to G (in some cases D rating)
  • live in the council areas of Harrogate

If the property does not have an EPC please get in touch and we may be able to arrange one, if all the other eligibility criteria are met.

HUG funding for homeowners

If you own your home the insulation work and survey will be fully funded by the grant.

HUG funding for private tenants

We can provide a grant of up to £5,000 for insulation measures.

A landlord contribution of at least one third of the cost is required.

Further information

We are working in partnership with other local councils and Better Homes Yorkshire on the Home Upgrade Grant. City of York Council is managing the scheme on our behalf.

To register your interest or for more information please contact Better Homes on 0800 597 1500 or at betterhomes@york.gov.uk.

All grants are subject to a home survey and confirming eligibility.