Means tested discretionary grants

This grant is available to people in the district who are disabled or have long term or life limiting health conditions.

A means tested discretionary grant is financial support which will enable you (if you are a homeowner, private tenant or in a shared ownership property) to improve or adapt your property to make the property safe, warm and secure.

However, your eligibility for a grant depends on your financial circumstances. We call this 'means-testing'.

What types of work does a means tested discretionary grant cover?

We will consider applications for discretionary assistance that may include repairs to a property to enable a disabled facilities grant to proceed or stand-alone repairs if the individual qualifies for the grant.

The works could include:

  • insulating a home or providing UPVC double glazing when the windows are defective
  • installation of a new heating system
  • undertaking works to resolve category one and two D and E hazards within a property such as remedial works to tackle damp or excess cold
  • undertaking electrical repairs to a home where the electrics are unsafe and a new level access shower is required or stair lift
  • undertaking measures to improve the safety and security of a home such as new doors or locks, repair to unsafe paths, fixing loose flooring and trip hazards
  • repair to roofs and rainwater goods when they become defective and are letting water into the property
  • the purchase and installation of telecare equipment to enable people to remain safe in their homes
  • assisting with costs towards moving home when the current home is no longer safe for the individual to remain there

How much financial support is available?

The maximum grant is £15,000.

The amount you may receive depends on your financial circumstances and those of anyone you live with such as your spouse or partner. We call this means testing and we will assess your income and any savings you have.

Who can apply for means tested discretionary assistance?

You can apply for a discretionary assistance provided you are aged 18 or over.

The amount you may receive depends on your financial circumstances and those of anyone you live with, such as a spouse or partner if you have one.

Individuals, parents and guardians of a disabled person can also apply on behalf of a loved one.

If you receive the following benefits, you will not have to contribute towards the cost of the work:

  • guaranteed pension credit
  • housing benefit
  • universal credit
  • income related employment support allowance
  • income based job seekers allowance
  • working tax credit with an annual income of less than £15,050
  • child tax credit with an annual income of less than £15,050

How do I apply for discretionary assistance?

You can be referred by your occupational therapist if they are arranging other work in your property to meet your needs or another professional such a social worker, support worker, GP, district nurse or living well coordinator.

Alternatively you can speak to one of our team on 01423 500600 x56899 who will ask you a few questions to determine whether you may qualify for assistance.

We will also carry out a home visit to make sure the works can be carried out properly.

We will then work on the approval paperwork once finalised works can then begin. Once they are completed, we will return to make sure everything is in order and arrange payment.

What do I need to do next?

We are here to provide you with help and support with your application for discretionary assistance.

If you need some general advice, you are welcome to call us on 01423 556899 or send an email to