Guidance notes for car park resident permits

Please read these guidance notes carefully before you apply for a permit. They are intended to provide additional information, minimise queries and reduce possible delays in processing applications.

Explanation of scheme

We offer concessionary parking in certain car parks in Ripon and Knaresborough only where their property is within an on-street resident zone and there is no alternative parking. Only certain properties and zones have this concession. Full details are on the parking zones pages.

The car park permits are available for the Cathedral, Victoria Grove, St Marygate and Castleyard car parks and no other car parks are available. Only one permit per household is available.

How to apply

You can apply online.

If you do not wish to apply online by using the link above you can apply at the Civic Centre, St Lukes Avenue, Harrogate HG1 2AE where one of our customer services advisors can assist you completing the online form.

Please note we do not issue permits over the counter

Proof required

On all new applications and change of details, proof will be required to confirm your residency and vehicle ownership at the address you require a permit for, please see below for the only accepted proofs.

Proof of address:

  • a current council tax statement
  • a valid driving licence

Proof of vehicle ownership or use:

  • a vehicle registration document confirming your name, address and vehicle registration
  • a valid schedule of motor insurance confirming your name, address and vehicle registration


A permit costs £60 per year. No discounts are available.

An administration charge of £20 applies for change of vehicle or for a replacement permit.