Guidance notes for residential zone permits

Please read these guidance notes carefully before you apply for a permit. They are intended to provide additional information, minimise queries and reduce possible delays in processing applications.

Explanation of scheme

Residential parking schemes are in place throughout the district to assist with parking for residents. We administer on-street permit schemes on behalf of North Yorkshire County Council (who are the Highways Authority) and we are unable to increase/amend the qualifying properties in any zone or the maximum allocation of permits. The number of permits available differs between zones and the maximum permits allowed cannot be exceeded. If you live in a shared house or flat that is registered with the council as a "House of Multiple Occupancy" (HMO) you can apply for permits. You should nominate one person as "Head of the Household" who can apply for the maximum number of permits allowed for the zone on behalf of everyone who lives there.

How to apply

You can apply and submit your proof documents online.

If you do not wish to apply online by using the link above you can apply at the Civic Centre, St Lukes Avenue, Harrogate HG1 2AE where one of our customer services advisors can assist you completing the online form.

Please note we do not issue permits over the counter

Proof required

On all new applications and change of details, proof will be required to confirm your residency and vehicle ownership at the address you require a permit for, please see below for the only accepted proofs.

Proof of address:

  • a current council tax statement
  • a valid driving licence

Proof of vehicle ownership or use:

  • a vehicle registration document confirming your name, address and vehicle registration
  • a valid schedule of motor insurance confirming your name, address and vehicle registration
  • confirmation from your employer that you have use of a work vehicle as part of your job (if applicable)


One year - £30
Two Year - £60

A 50% reduction in the cost is available if proof is provided that:

  • you are aged 60 years or over
  • you are registered disabled or in receipt of Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance
  • an administration charge of £20 applies for change of vehicle or for a replacement permit

When applying online for a residents permit whereby you qualify for the discount, please select the 'discounted resident permit' option. Please note that proofs will be required on renewal to ensure on-going qualification for the discount.