The council are committed to working with local event organisers in looking for practical solutions to enable community events to successfully take place. If you would like to organise an event in the Harrogate district the following information and guidance will help you get started.

Harrogate district covers 500 square miles and is one of the most beautiful areas of England.

Safety Advisory Group (SAG)

SAGs provide a forum for discussing and advising on public safety at an event. They aim to help organisers with the planning, and management of an event and to encourage cooperation and coordination between all relevant agencies. They are non-statutory bodies and so do not have legal powers or responsibilities, and are not empowered to approve or prohibit events from taking place. Event organisers and others involved in the running of an event, retain the principal legal duties for ensuring public safety.

You should notify your event to the SAG. The individual members of the SAG may then contact you for further detail. For higher risk, larger or unusual events you may be ask to attend a SAG meeting to discuss your event.

Planning an event on council owned or managed land
We manage various event areas in the district, and they are available to hire for all types of events and business promotions.

To hold an event, activity or to carry out filming on council owned or managed land you will first need to fill out the events enquiry form. Please include with your application as many details as you can in relation to your event, as this will allow us to process your request more efficiently.

The application process will take a minimum of 16 weeks.

Event Safety Management Plan
An Event Safety Management Plan (ESMP) is a vital document which outlines all the key command, control, communication and operational details of the event and how it will be delivered safely.

Events on non-council/privately owned land
If your event is to take place on non-council/privately owned land please notify the Safety Advisory Group (SAG) by completing the SAG event notification form.

Premises licence
For events with a capacity of 500 persons or more, a premises licence will be required where it is proposed to carry on one or more licensable activities, such as, sale of alcohol, regulated entertainment and the sale of hot food and drink (between 11pm and 5am).

You can find further information and guidance on applying for a premises license by visiting the premises licence page.

GOV.UK: Entertainment Licensing page provides a useful overview for certain types of regulated entertainment and licence requirements.

For further information you can contact us by completing the online event enquiries form.

Event enquiries form