Apply for social housing

You may be able to rent social housing (a council house) from us or one of the housing associations that have homes in the district. To understand what social housing is available, how to apply for it, and what happens when you do, please view our allocations process information sheet.

If you have any further questions, our full policy on social housing and a summary of it are available too.

Before you apply, you may also want to read through the other pages on this website to get a better understanding of what housing options are available to you.

As soon as you're ready to apply for a social home, please download the application form, fill it out, and send it back to us. If you're not able to download and print this form, please contact us at to request that we send it to you in the post.

View your housing waiting list position online

To access this you will need to register or sign in to your My Harrogate account. You will need your application reference number which you will find on your confirmation letter. You will receive this letter once your application has been processed which can take up to eight weeks.

Please note that due to the high number of applicants on our waiting list we would encourage you to enquire about your position online. If you are unable to do this and would prefer to enquire by telephone it is not necessary to make regular enquiries. This is because although your position on the waiting list will vary on a day to day basis as applicants join and leave the waiting list, there is generally very limited movement in your position unless you have had a change in circumstances. We will contact you as soon as you are shortlisted for a property.

Register or sign in