The Homelessness Reduction Act 2017 means that rules around how Local Authorities help homeless households have changed.

From 3 April 2018 if you are homeless or likely to become homeless within 56 days the Local Authority has a statutory duty to provide you with advice and assistance in an attempt to prevent your homelessness.

You may be classed as homeless if you have nowhere to live, if you've been told by your landlord/family or friend you must leave your accommodation, rented or other within 56 days or if you're afraid to go home.

How we can help

We can also discuss your housing options with you and if necessary help you find somewhere safe to stay on a temporary basis. We will also help you plan for the long term. This might involve making arrangements for rehousing or returning home with additional security measures in place. Please contact us on 01423 500600.

To self-register for homelessness and housing options advice please visit

Self-registration guide

We'll give free advice to anyone who is worried about losing their home or has lost their home. We can speak with your landlord on your behalf to help you stay in your current home, or speak with your mortgage lender to understand the steps you might need to take to prevent eviction.

We have funds that could help you if you are having problems with arrears at your current address. Speak to us and we'll complete an assessment to see whether we can help.

We have many other services that we can offer to if you are:

  • having problems with benefits and it is affecting your ability to pay rent
  • in accommodation but struggling with managing your bills or keeping your property in the manner your landlord expects
  • in private accommodation but you are experiencing problems with disrepair. We can refer you to our Private Sector Housing Service who may instruct your landlord to carry out repairs or improvements
  • having problems with mortgage arrears. We can assess your situation and make a referral to organisations that could help
  • interested in joining the housing waiting list. We can give you information on how to join and discuss the other rehousing options available to you

We understand that everyone's situation is different and that you may need advice and help on issues other than housing. When you approach our service we will complete a tailored Personal Housing Plan with you and we'll do everything we can to make sure that your other needs are identified. We work alongside many agencies who provide specialist services and who could offer you help.

More information about the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017

Homelessness Reduction Act 2017 - Duty to refer

Privately renting

We also have a Private Sector Officer working within the Housing Options team who can give you information about properties available to privately rent locally and help you to access Harrogate Borough Councils Rent Bond Scheme.

We know that in some cases it may be necessary for you to leave your current property immediately; in these circumstances we may provide temporary accommodation. Please note this will depend on your personal circumstances.

Temporary accommodation

We have hostels in Harrogate, Ripon and Knaresborough, for families and single people. Most of the accommodation is self-contained flats but some of the Harrogate units do share a bathroom. If you lose your home in an emergency we'll provide accommodation which is equipped with basic provisions only.

We also have several houses and flats within the district, funded by Leeds Federated Housing Association which we use as temporary accommodation for homeless families. We also hold temporary accommodation within the Leeds district, where you may be placed if there are no units available in our district.

While living in your temporary home, a Temporary Accommodation Officer will work with you and can give you advice on a range of subjects including how to pay your rent, how to claim benefits, schools, GPs and what facilities there are in the area. Your Housing Options Officer will continue to work with you through your personal housing plan.

If you have any questions about homelessness, please use the housing advice online form below.

Housing advice online form

Homelessness Strategy

Other related Housing Strategies

Harrogate Housing Strategy
York, North Yorkshire and East Riding Housing Strategy