Our housing options team works closely with a wide range of other agencies who provide support and assistance to people who are homeless or may be experiencing housing difficulties, including starting a new tenancy. If you have a homelessness or housing related query and we cannot help you directly, we will try to refer you to someone who can.

We can help with many different housing problems whether you live in council owned housing or private sector housing. We can also offer impartial advice to landlords.

How we can help:

Notices to quit accommodation - this includes notices given to tenants because a tenancy is coming to an end, tenancy agreements that have expired or are expiring, and issues where tenants may have breached the terms of their tenancy agreement (for example, by non payment of rent or anti-social behaviour).

Rent increases - in most situations, landlords must follow a set procedure if they want a tenant to pay more rent.

Disrepair - people living in private rented accommodation can often have problems with disrepair and many landlords and tenants are not aware of their obligations. There are also some schemes available to people that own their homes. Please see the private sector housing tenants and landlords pages for more information.

Deposits - these must be held in one of three specific schemes by your landlord. At the end of a tenancy, deposit money may be withheld for different reasons. Advice can be given to landlords and tenants in relation to this.

In certain circumstances, we may be able to assist people into private accommodation through a rent in advance payment and/or rent bond scheme.

Relationship breakdown - many people are not aware of their rights when they separate from a partner. Advice can be given regarding their housing situation and any benefits they may be entitled to.

Mortgage arrears - people fall into mortgage arrears for many different reasons, such as unemployment or health problems. There are various options available which may prevent someone from losing their home, even if court proceedings have already begun.

Welfare benefits - many people are not aware of the wide range of benefits they may be entitled to. Housing Options Officers will signpost applicants to the most appropriate office to ensure that they are receiving all benefit entitlements.

Housing options - there is a range of options which are available to people who are looking for alternative housing.

Homelessness - if you are homeless or think you may become homeless, we offer a drop in service where a Housing Options Officer will help you stay in your current home or try to find alternative accommodation dependent on your circumstances.

Information on private renting on GOV.UK website

Housing advice form

Housing support

We have a team of dedicated support officers, available daily to help you with any housing support needs you may have.

You should consider this service if:

  • you are homeless or threatened with homelessness and need housing related support to help you to maintain or access a tenancy (this includes those in local authority temporary accommodation)
  • you are 18 years or over
  • you live in the Harrogate district

We will work closely with our housing options team and support your housing application by helping you to:

  • identify your support needs to support your Personalised Housing Plan (PHP)
  • set up and run a home and apply for local grants to pay for furniture
  • apply for housing costs and other benefits you are entitled to
  • reduce debt, including rent arrears
  • gain confidence to budget properly and look after your home
  • work with landlords and sort out issues with utility companies and other organisations
  • follow advice on how to look after yourself and your home
  • find other services which can support or help you with specific problems, for example, health and debt management
  • get more involved with your local community
  • find education, employment and training


Any information provided will be treated confidentially and will not be shared without your consent unless there is a serious risk to you, a third party or the community. In this instance, details will be disclosed to any other person without consent.

Contact us

If you would like more information about the service we provide or would like to discuss a referral, please contact a member of the team on 01423 500600 x51605 or email HBCHSS@harrogate.gov.uk

Alternatively you can drop in to see us at Harrogate Borough Council, Civic Centre, St Luke's Avenue, Harrogate, HG1 2AE.

We are open Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8.30am until 12 noon and 2pm until 4pm
Wednesdays from 9.30am until 12 noon and 2pm until 4pm
Fridays from 8.30am until 12 noon and 2pm until 3.30pm

We have a drop in service that is every other Tuesday morning from 11am until 1pm starting on Tuesday 28 September 2021 at the Wesleyan Chapel.

If you have difficulty accessing our service, home visits are available. Please let us know on 01423 500600 x51605 or email HBCHSS@harrogate.gov.uk and alternative arrangements can be made.

You can apply to us via housing options or the housing allocations team on 01423 500600 x51605 or email HBCHSS@harrogate.gov.uk.

Volunteering opportunities within the district and charity searches

Harrogate and District Community Action website
Register of charities
Turn 2 Us website

North Yorkshire Integrated Domestic Abuse Services

Support service across North Yorkshire for people who are experiencing or at risk of domestic abuse.

There are two elements to the service:

  • refuge provision for women and children - to provide a refuge service that is safe and secure, providing a holistic approach toward the assessment of need and risk and a clear support pathway for women (aged 16+ years) and women with children
  • 'Making Safe' floating support service for victims/survivors - to provide a 'Making Safe' service for victims/survivors, including children and young people through community support and the delivery of specialised accommodation related support in a floating support setting enabling them to remain safe in their own home or to continue to live independently in other accommodation

The service is provided by Independent Domestic Abuse Services (IDAS) across North Yorkshire.

To find out further information and what support is available please contact IDAS.

Harrogate Stay Well service

Housing-related support for people with primary mental health needs living in the district, provided by Horton Housing.

Stay Well is a floating support service for people with primary mental health needs living in the Harrogate district of North Yorkshire, who need housing-related support to maximise and sustain their independence in the community, and to achieve their rehabilitation and recovery goals. Stay Well is a home-based service, which means support workers visit people in their own homes. The service also provides temporary, supported accommodation for those who are unable to remain at home or are homeless/at risk of homelessness at the point of referral.

Stay Well is for people who meet the following criteria:

  • aged 18 or over and living in the Harrogate district of North Yorkshire
  • have primary mental health needs
  • need of housing-related support in order to move towards or continue independent living

Stay Well can support single people, couples and families, with or without children.

The service is free and accepts referrals from any source, including statutory and voluntary organisations and self-referrals. If you would like more information about the service or to make a referral please ring us on 07584 015759.

Alternatively, you can email us at harrogatestaywell@hortonhousing.co.uk

Further information on Harrogate Stay Well

Harrogate Stay Well Selection and Allocation Policy