Former members of armed forces

I'm a service veteran and need help with housing. What is on offer?

You are considered to be a veteran if you have served for at least one day in Her Majesty's Armed Forces (Regular or Reserve) or Merchant Mariners who have seen duty on legally defined military operations.

The Department of Communities and Local Government (DCLG) has introduced various measures to improve access to social housing for the service community and veterans. This includes changing the law to ensure seriously injured service personnel and veterans with urgent housing need are always given high priority for social housing by the local authorities. Regulations have also been introduced which ensure that those within five years of having left the Armed Forces cannot be disqualified from social housing because of a local connection or residency requirements.

Where can I get help?

Veterans Gateway - this website offers all types of advice including housing. Telephone helpline 0808 802 1212.

The Single Persons Accommodation Centre for the Ex Services - Single Persons Accommodation Centre for the Ex-Services, SPACES is a housing advice and placement service for veterans. SPACES targets the most vulnerable of service leavers, regardless of rank, length of service, or reason for discharge. Helpline 01748 833797/872940/830191.

Launchpad - provides affordable supported rented accommodation with on-site support to Armed Forces veterans of all ages and their partners. Helpline 0300 111 1238.

Alabare: Homes for Veterans - provides temporary accommodation to British Armed Forces Veterans who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. Helpline 07122 322882.

Veterans Aid - helping ex-servicemen and women in crisis. Enables sustainable, independent living with support. Helpline 0800 012 6867/020 7828 2468.

The Beacon Catterick - the Beacon offers supported housing to single veterans who are homeless or at risk of homelessness and who have support needs. Based at Catterick Garrison, the team understands the unique needs of veterans transitioning in to civilian life. Helpline 0345 111 0000.

Stoll Foundation - Stoll provide over 250 affordable homes for vulnerable veterans to rent. They also arrange accommodation for veterans through housing associations and local authorities across the country. Helpline 020 7385 2110.

Firstlight Trust for Veterans - for those suffering from severe stress, who feel they have nowhere else to turn. Through their growing local network of cafes and centres, they support veterans and their families where it matters - in their community and in their homes. This is a charity for veterans of the Emergency Services and Armed Forces. Helpline 01723 361210.

SSAFA (Armed Forces Charity) - support for veterans and their families for the rest of their lives. Helpline 0800 731 4880.

Our responsibilities

If you are at risk of homelessness and have received your 93 day notice to vacate your accommodation your waiting list application will be given priority status. This will give you every opportunity to resolve your situation well ahead of when you might become homeless. We will be able to discuss all available affordable housing options with you.

Getting help

We can discuss your housing options with you. Please contact us on 01423 500600.

To self-register for homelessness and housing options advice please visit

Self-registration guide