If a relationship has broken down, there are many things to consider, including where you are both going to live. If the relationship is amicable then it may be possible to stay in the house while one or both of you find alternative accommodation. In certain cases legal advice may be required.

In most cases, your housing rights will depend on:

  • whether your home is rented or owner-occupied
  • the legal status of your relationship (married couples and registered civil partners usually have more rights than couples who are living together as 'cohabitees')
  • whether you have children

You should speak to a specialist adviser or solicitor before making any decisions. If you are being subjected to violence or abuse always call the police in an emergency.

Getting help

We can discuss your housing options with you. Please contact us on 01423 500600.

To self-register for homelessness and housing options advice please visit live.housingjigsaw.co.uk

Self-registration guide