We produce more waste during the festive season than any other time of year; fortunately, a lot of it can be recycled or reused.
Recycling boxes and bags
Make sure you've got enough room for all your extra recycling this Christmas. All households can have two black boxes and two blue bags for recycling. If you've currently only got one and would like another, please call 01423 500600.
In your blue bags
- brown cardboard and corrugated cardboard packaging from online deliveries, toys and large electrical items (remember to remove all plastic packaging and labels first, then flatten and cut down the cardboard before putting it in the bag). You can also check if the company offers a free take back scheme for packaging
- Christmas cards and Christmas crackers (as long as they're not metallic or have glitter on them), as well as envelopes
- wrapping paper that passes the 'scrunch test' (if you scrunch the paper in your hand and it stays in a ball, you can put it in your blue bag)
- Christmas catalogues and brochures
In your black boxes
- recycle the foil from your mince pies and turkey, but remember to rinse and remove any bits of food first
- glass food jars and glass bottles (any colour) rinsed out
- plastic bottles, cardboard drinks cartons and drinks cans, all washed and squashed
- thin light coloured plastic packaging and plastic food trays
In your garden waste bin
Treecycle your 'real' Christmas trees and festive plants (with all soil, decorations and ribbon removed). Please ensure Christmas trees are cut into small pieces with branches no larger than 10cm in diameter. If you have subscribed to the garden waste scheme for 2018 your garden waste bin will be collected when the service resumes on 12 March 2018.
Are your recycling boxes and bags overflowing?
Whilst the council normally do not accept plastic bags, to help residents with the extra recycling at Christmas, they will collect extra recycling providing it is left in clear see through carrier bags. Bags must be clear so the collection crews can see at a glance that any bags only contains recyclable products, use separate bags for paper/cardboard materials and another for your plastics, glass, cans and beverage cartons.
A full list of what can and cannot be recycled as part of the kerbside recycling collection scheme can be found in our waste and recycling guide.
Changes to bank holiday collection dates
The collection days for your waste and recycling will be different over Christmas and New Year. There will be no collections on Monday 25 and Tuesday 26 December or Monday 1 January. Please check the sticker on your black wheelie bin for your alternative collection dates or visit secure.harrogate.gov.uk/inmyarea.
If you would like to register to receive text or email alert messages about changes to bank holiday collections please call 01423 500600.
Page last updated 05/12/2017