Parishes may charge a parish precept to fund the parish council and activities they undertake on behalf of your community. Each parish must forecast how much they are going to need in the following financial year. This is then divided by the number of properties in the parish that fall into council tax band D, in the same way as your Harrogate Borough Council council tax is calculated. Parishes where the precept is over £140,000 must provide a breakdown of their budget. Ripon City Council is currently the only such parish within the Harrogate district.
The council tax in your parish area
In areas where parish councils raise money through a parish precept, the basic Harrogate Borough Council band D council tax of £240.92 has to be increased. You can view the 2019/20 parish precepts for the Harrogate district.
Note, if your parish is not listed this is because they have taken the decision not to levy an additional charge to their residents.
Ripon City Council
Ripon City Council has set a balanced budget for 2019/20. The budget will allow for further continuation and expansion of the grant initiatives which include both small grants and monies for working in partnerships with other organisations to help deliver improvements in the city.
The council has budgeted for the provision of a city wide bus service and an enhanced programme of family-friendly Ripon City Council events during 2019/20.
The council's budget from April 2019 will include:
- £20,000 available for a small grant scheme
- £18,000 available for working with partnership organisations to deliver services in the city
- £80,000 as a strategic investment fund
- £100,000 to provide an enhanced range of larger family events on the Market Square including events around the Tour de Yorkshire and UCI World Championships, Summer Bank Holiday, Halloween plus Christmas and New Year events
- £15,000 to fund the running of Quarry Moor Park
|Ripon City Council||2018/19||2019/20|
|Net Spending after use of balances||£300,253||£400,000|
|Parish Band D Tax||£54.23||£71.87|
You can still view the 2018/19 parish precepts.
Page last updated 15/03/2019