The government has introduced new coronavirus restrictions to try and stem a spike in new cases. It means gatherings of more than six people are now against the law and will be punishable with a fine.

The new rules are explained in full on the government website.

We all have a responsibility to do everything we can to minimise the risk of the virus spreading.  This means you need to:

  • Wash your hands, for 20 seconds, on a regular basis
  • Wear a face covering when you are required to and in enclosed spaces generally
  • Make space by socially distancing and keeping at least a metre apart from other people

The symptoms of the coronavirus are a new, continuous cough (this is where you cough a lot in an hour or have several coughing episodes), a fever (where your temperature goes above 37.8 degrees) and a loss of smell or taste.

If you – or someone you live with – has these symptoms you, or they, must immediately self-isolate at home to stop the risk of spreading the virus to other people. You should then book a coronavirus test.

There’s more information on the NHS website.

Support if you are vulnerable or self-isolating

If you're self-isolating, you may need some extra help with things like shopping, looking after pets or simply keeping in touch with others. If you can, please contact family, friends or neighbours and ask for their support in the first instance. If you do need help, contact one of the six community support hubs across the district:

Harrogate and surrounding villages: Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm. 01423 813096 or [email protected]

Boroughbridge and surrounding villages: Monday to Friday 9am to 1pm. 01423 324504 or [email protected]

Knaresborough and surrounding villages: Monday to Sunday 8am to 8pm. 07593 882340 or [email protected]

Ripon and surrounding villages: Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm. 01765 603631 or [email protected]

Masham and surrounding villages: Monday to Friday 10am to 3pm. 01765 680200 or [email protected]

Pateley Bridge, surrounding villages and the Nidderdale Valley: Monday to Friday 10am to 4pm and Saturday 10am to 1pm. 01423 714953 or [email protected]

If you are being shielded because you have underlying health conditions, you need to take extra care to protect yourself from the coronavirus. Stay at home as much as possible. Only go outside for exercise. Do not visit someone else's home.

For out of hours emergencies contact North Yorkshire County Council on 01609 780780 or our emergency team on 01423 500600.

Financial and wellbeing support

If your financial situation has changed, you may need support with household payments, debts or living costs.

Taking care of your mind as well as your body is also really important while you're at home because of the coronavirus.

Help and support is available across the district.

Our customer services

Our customer centre at civic centre in Harrogate is only open to pre-booked face to face appointments.

Please call us on 01423 500600 to check the availability of appointments and to make a booking.

You can send us a message or you can send an email to [email protected]

This website is available 24/7. If you sign up for a My Account, you can manage things like your council tax online.

Claiming benefits, rent and council tax

If your income has changed as a result of the pandemic and you are concerned about paying your rent or council tax, we can help.

  • you can apply to have your council tax reduced. We can also review your monthly payments, spread them across 12 months or arrange a payment holiday
  • if you are of pension age and need help to pay your rent, you can apply for housing benefit
  • if you receive housing benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit and you are struggling to pay the remainder of your rent, we may be able to give you a temporary, extra rent top up from our discretionary housing payment fund
  • if you are working age and need help with your rent or day to day living costs, you can claim Universal Credit and/or Job Seekers Allowance direct from the Department of Work and Pensions

If you already receive council tax support, or housing benefit, please let us know about any income changes you have so we can make sure we are paying you your correct entitlement.

Please give us a call on 01423 500600 or make an enquiry online.

If you get help to pay your council tax, you will get an additional discount of up to £150 for the rest of this year. We've been given money from the government to make a hardship payment to everyone of working age who receives council tax support. You don't need to do anything as the discount will be applied automatically but we will send you a new bill.

Page last updated 15/09/2020