We aim to get it right

We try hard to provide high quality and efficient services. We aim to get it right first time, every time. But things sometimes go wrong - and when this happens, we need to know. Your comments and complaints help to sort out problems and to ensure that similar mistakes are prevented in the future.

Unacceptable behaviour policy

Is your complaint about a councillor's conduct?

If your complaint is about a councillor's conduct, either a member of this council or one of the parish councils in the district, please read the information on councillors' conduct.

How to complain

  1. Contact us with your complaint
    Most complaints are solved by completing the feedback form, or calling 01423 500600 during our office hours which are Monday to Thursday 8:30am until 5pm and Friday 8:30am until 4:30pm
  2. What to do if you are not satisfied
    If a problem isn't satisfactorily sorted out when you complain, ask to speak to the Service Manager. They will do their best to put things right. If you are still not satisfied, or want to comment on your experience, you'll need to make a formal complaint. The council's complaints procedure has full details of the process
  3. Making a formal complaint
    Formal complaint must be made in writing using either the feedback form, customerservices@harrogate.gov.uk or letter. You will receive a formal acknowledgement within three working days of the council receiving your complaint, telling you who is dealing with your complaint. You will receive a formal response to your complaint within ten working days. If the complaint is complex or involves several services you will be contacted within ten working days, outlining how your complaint is being dealt with and when you can expect a full response
  4. Complaining to the Chief Executive
    If you are still dissatisfied with the response from the formal complaint the Chief Executive will investigate your complaint. You will get a response within twenty five working days, giving you the Chief Executive's findings, or outlining how your complaint is being tackled and when you can expect a full response
  5. Complain to the Ombudsman
    If you are unhappy with the council's decision over your complaint, you can complain to the Local Government Ombudsman. They will investigate a complaint independently, but prefer to do so only after the council has had a chance to deal with it first. Most housing complaints are dealt with by the Local Government Ombudsman but the Housing Ombudsman deals with complaints about council homes.

Page last updated 03/01/2018