You can clear snow and ice from pavements yourself. It is unlikely that you will be sued or held responsible if someone is injured on a path or pavement if you have cleared it carefully.
When you clear snow and ice:
- do it early in the day - it is easier to move fresh, loose snow
- don't use water - it might refreeze causing black ice
- use salt if possible - it will melt the ice or snow and stop it from refreezing overnight (don't use the salt from salting bins as this is used to keep roads clear)
- you can use ash and sand if you don't have enough salt
- pay extra attention when clearing steps and steep pathways
Page last updated 23/10/2017