Council tax is used to pay for local services.

As well as Harrogate Borough Council services, it pays for those from North Yorkshire County Council, the Police and Crime Commissioner for North Yorkshire and North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Authority.

One council tax bill is sent to a property regardless of how many people live there.

The amount you pay depends on the valuation band of your property. The bands are based on what a home might have sold for in April 1991 and are set by the Valuation Office Agency.

All properties in our area, and their bands, are shown on the check your council tax band page on the GOV UK website.

If you want to appeal against your banding contact the VOA.

Council tax information 2017/18

The basic band D council tax is £1,706.04 and is made up of four elements:

£1,189.50 for North Yorkshire County Council services
£228.93 for Harrogate Borough Council services
£221.32 for North Yorkshire Police and Crime Commissioner services
£67.19 for North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Authority services

The schedule of total taxes for 2017-18 shows the breakdown of council tax for all bands.

Council tax adult social care precept

The government has allowed councils which provide social care to adults to increase their share of council tax. This additional council tax charge is called the adult social care precept.

This started in 2016/17 and it is a government requirement that this precept is shown as a separate line on the bill with an amount that is the total for this additional precept over the two years.

The 2% "change" shown on the bill is actually the percent of the 2017/18 North Yorkshire County Council charge for the adult social care precept.

The percentage increase is calculated by the total for North Yorkshire County Council and the adult social care precept.

  • in 2016/17 the total precept was £1,121.86 (£1,099.86 plus £22.00)
  • in 2017/18 the total is £1,189.50 (£1,144.62 plus £22.88)

The income generated from this charge is ring-fenced, meaning it can only be used for adult social care services.

North Yorkshire County Council is the authority which provides adult social care services, and we collect this charge on their behalf.

Council tax is higher in parishes which have chosen to raise money through a parish precept. The schedule of taxes by band and parish shows the full details.

Who has to pay

Details on who has to pay council tax can be found on the GOV.UK website.

Enquiries form

Page last updated 08/09/2017