When starting a new food business, it is important to get legal matters, such as registering your business, health and safety and food hygiene right from the very start because this will make it much easier for you to run your business well in the future.

You need to:

  • register your food business at least 28 days before opening. There is no charge
  • apply for a licence by contacting licensing@harrogate.gov.uk if you are:-
    • selling alcohol
    • putting on public entertainment
    • selling hot food and drink late at night
    • selling food on the street

Information to help you with starting up:

  • starting up booklet is provided by the FSA website. It provides information on food hygiene, the law and issues relevant to new catering businesses
  • Safer Food, Better Business is a food safety management system developed by the Food Standards Agency (FSA). It can be downloaded free of charge, it helps food businesses comply with the law
  • an Introduction to Health and Safety. This offers information including the law and issues relevant to your business

Note: in some instances businesses may require specific approval for handling certain products of animal origin (POAO).  Guidance in relation to this approval can be found on the Food Standards Agency website.

Should your proposed food business fall within the scope of approval, it is recommended that you contact us on 01423 500600 prior to completing the application form.

Useful links

Building control
Business and investment
Food law inspections
Health and safety made simple
Pest control
Trade waste

Page last updated 08/12/2017