If you think there's a gas leak dial 0800 111999 straight away.

An emergency engineer will come out, make everything safe if necessary and advise you about repairs, which must be carried out by a “Gas Safe” registered engineer.

If you're a tenant, and the defective pipework or appliance isn't yours, report the repair to your landlord as soon as possible.

Gas appliances in rented homes

All landlords, including Harrogate Borough Council, are responsible for making sure that the gas pipes and appliances that they own in your home are working safely. By law, everything should be checked by an engineer every year.

The council's gas contractor will always contact council tenants to arrange an appointment time that suits you both for an annual safety check and appliance service.

Your landlord should have a “landlord's gas safety certificate” showing which appliances were checked and when.

If you live in rented accommodation and have a gas appliance of your own, such as a cooker, it's your responsibility to make sure:

  • it's safe to use
  • it's safely connected to the gas supply provided by your landlords

Gas danger signs include:

  • orange flames
  • scorching on the appliances
  • brown or black discoloration
  • signs of soot or a sooty smell
  • unexplained headaches, chest pains, weakness
  • sudden dizziness when standing up

Don't use the appliance if you think it's unsafe. Tell your landlord immediately. Follow it up in writing and keep a copy.

Page last updated 24/09/2017