We work with other partners to advise on housing and homelessness issues for 16-25 year olds in Harrogate. This is through a housing solutions hub (HUB team) based at our Customer Service Centre, Civic Centre, St Lukes Avenue, Harrogate HG1 2AE.
- support if you're a young person aged between 16 and 25 and are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless
- general housing advice and support around issues like accessing benefits and managing a tenancy
- support and help to stay in your own home where it's safe and appropriate to do so
- a range of accommodation and support services because we know staying at home isn't always suitable or possible
Staff in the hub will:
- talk you through everything and make sure you understand your options
- answer any questions you have
- create a personal housing plan with you taking into account your wishes and feelings
- provide you with a support worker who'll help you through the entire process
Parents have responsibility for their child until he or she reaches the age of 18, so they'll always be contacted by us to clarify circumstances. If a young person comes to us as homeless, hub staff will try to mediate a return to a family home, where appropriate, even if only short term.
Owing to the lack of affordable accommodation in the area, many people feel they have no choice but to declare friends or relatives "homeless" in the belief it will help them. But there's a severe lack of housing available and attempts to solve housing problems must be sought first.
- SASH - Safe and Sound Homes
We may refer young single homeless people to an organisation called SASH, which provides a bed for the night with volunteers in their own homes, and also offers supported lodgings in the home of a carefully recruited host, for up to two years. The host and project workers support young people to develop their independence skills
Foundation have a variety of accommodation, ranging from hostels that are staffed 24 hours a day to independent accommodation. Foundation also support people when they are released from prison. All referrals come through the hub. For more information please visit www.foundationuk.org/blog/2017/01/18/young-people-making-progress-in-harrogate
- No Wrong Door
This service works with young people, mainly those aged 16 and 17, to develop strengths and reduce risks through getting access to the right services at the right time and in the right place
- Tenancy Support Services
Referrals can be made to tenancy support services depending upon the type of accommodation you are in
Page last updated 02/04/2018