Our Housing Options team works closely with a wide range of other agencies who provide support and assistance to people who are homeless or may be experiencing housing difficulties, including starting a new tenancy. If you have a homelessness or housing related query and we cannot help you directly, we will try to refer you to someone who can.

We can help with many different housing problems whether you live in council owned housing or private sector housing. We can also offer impartial advice to landlords.

How we can help:

Notices to quit accommodation - this includes notices given to tenants because a tenancy is coming to an end, tenancy agreements that have expired or are expiring, and issues where tenants may have breached the terms of their tenancy agreement (for example, by non payment of rent or anti-social behaviour).

Rent increases - in most situations, landlords must follow a set procedure if they want a tenant to pay more rent.

Disrepair - people living in private rented accommodation can often have problems with disrepair and many landlords and tenants are not aware of their obligations. There are also some schemes available to people that own their homes. Please see the private sector housing tenants and landlords pages for more information.

Deposits - these must be held in one of three specific schemes by your landlord. At the end of a tenancy, deposit money may be withheld for different reasons. Advice can be given to landlords and tenants in relation to this.

In certain circumstances, we may be able to assist people into private accommodation through a rent in advance payment and/or rent bond scheme.

Relationship breakdown - many people are not aware of their rights when they separate from a partner. Advice can be given regarding their housing situation and any benefits they may be entitled to.

Mortgage arrears - people fall into mortgage arrears for many different reasons, such as unemployment or health problems. There are various options available which may prevent someone from losing their home, even if court proceedings have already begun.

Welfare benefits - many people are not aware of the wide range of benefits they may be entitled to. Housing Options Officers will signpost applicants to the most appropriate office to ensure that they are receiving all benefit entitlements.

Housing options - there are a range of options which are available to people who are looking for alternative housing.

Homelessness - if you are homeless or think you may become homeless, we offer a drop in service where a Housing Options Officer will help you stay in your current home or try to find alternative accommodation dependent on your circumstances.

Information on private renting on GOV.UK website

Housing advice form

Housing related support services

North Yorkshire County Council commissions the following housing related support services:

North Yorkshire Homeless Prevention Services

Harrogate Stay, provided by Horton Housing, offers a housing related support service for people aged 18 and over who are experiencing difficulties in their housing situation, or who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.

The main aim of this service is to develop or sustain a person's capacity to live independently within the community, thus preventing loss of their home or tenancy.

To find out further information and what support is available please contact Harrogate Stay by calling 01423 608997.

Drop in sessions are available:

Monday 11am until 12pm Holy Trinity Church, Gracious Street, Knaresborough, HG5 8DT (disabled access available at this venue)
Tuesday 11am until 12.30pm Springboard Project, Wesley Chapel House, Oxford Street, Harrogate, HG1 1PP (no disabled access and this venue is not suitable for children)
Wednesday 11am until 12.30pm Ripon Library, The Arcade, Ripon, HG4 1AG (disabled access is available at this venue)
Thursday 11am until 12.30pm North Yorkshire Horizons, 7 North Park Road, Harrogate, HG1 5PD (no disabled access at this venue)
Friday 10.30am until 11.30am Mowbray Community Church, Westmoreland Street, Harrogate, HG1 5AT (disabled access at this venue)

North Yorkshire Integrated Domestic Abuse Services

Support service across North Yorkshire for people who are experiencing or at risk of domestic abuse.

There are two elements to the service:

  • refuge provision for women and children - to provide a refuge service that is safe and secure, providing a holistic approach toward the assessment of need and risk and a clear support pathway for women (aged 16+ years) and women with children
  • 'Making Safe' floating support service for victims/survivors - to provide a 'Making Safe' service for victims/survivors, including children and young people through community support and the delivery of specialised accommodation related support in a floating support setting enabling them to remain safe in their own home or to continue to live independently in other accommodation

The service is provided by Independent Domestic Abuse Services (IDAS) across North Yorkshire.

To find out further information and what support is available please contact IDAS.

Page last updated 10/05/2019