You may be classed as homeless if you have nowhere to live, if you've been told by your landlord you must leave your home, if you're afraid to go home or if you have to leave your rented home within 28 days.

You may be looked at as a priority if you're pregnant, have dependent children or are vulnerable because of your age, health or circumstances. You may also be a priority if you're homeless because of an emergency, such as fire or flooding, whether or not you became homeless intentionally.

If you choose to leave a home you could have stayed in, or if you lose your home through arrears or anti-social behaviour, you could be intentionally homeless.

How we can help

If you're homeless, or about to become so, please call in to see a Housing Options Officer or contact the Customer Service Team on 01423 500600.

We'll give free advice to everyone who is worried about losing their home or has lost their home. We might be able to help you stay in your current home by talking to your landlord or mortgage lender to prevent eviction.

Alternatively, we can make sure your home is brought up to an acceptable standard by seeking advice from our Private Sector Housing service who may instruct your landlord to carry out repairs or improvements. We'll offer advice on benefits, on dealing with mortgage arrears and arrange free legal advice if you want it.

We understand that everyone's situation is different and that you may need advice and help on issues other than housing. We'll do everything we can to make sure that your other needs are also identified and can involve other specialists and agencies who could offer you help.

If we can't help you by offering a home, we'll give you information about places to rent. In some cases we may provide you with temporary accommodation. This will depend on your personal circumstances.

You'll be offered a permanent home only in certain circumstances. In most cases you'll have to spend some time in temporary accommodation before permanent housing can be provided owing to the high level of homelessness in the area and the high number of households currently waiting for permanent accommodation.

The law tells us we must decide if you're eligible for help; whether or not you're homeless, if you're a priority need and whether or not you are intentionally homeless. We will also assess your local connection to the Harrogate district such as a close family member, you work here or have lived here for more than six months, or for three of the last five years.

We'll only ask questions which are really necessary.

Temporary accommodation

We have hostels in Harrogate, Ripon and Knaresborough, for families and single people. Most of the accommodation is self-contained flats but some of the Harrogate units do share a bathroom. If you lose your home in an emergency we'll provide accommodation which is equipped with basic provisions only.

We also have several houses and flats within the district, funded by Leeds Federated Housing Association which we use as temporary accommodation for homeless families. We also hold temporary accommodation within the Leeds district, where you may be placed if there are no units available in our district.

While living in your temporary home, a Temporary Accommodation Officer can give you advice on a range of issues, including how to pay your rent, how to claim benefits, schools, GPs and what facilities there are in the area.

If you have any questions about homelessness, please use the online form below.

Housing advice online form

Homelessness Strategy

Other related Housing Strategies

Harrogate Housing Strategy
York, North Yorkshire and East Riding Housing Strategy

Page last updated 07/11/2017