As from 3 April 2018 Harrogate Borough Council is delivering the disabled facilities grant (DFG) in house directly from the Civic Centre. If you have an enquiry please call 01423 500600 x56899 or email email@example.com
The disabled facilities grant can help people who own their own home, private tenants and tenants of social landlords adapt their homes to meet the needs of disabled children or adults. Before applying, you should first contact social services on 01609 780780.
The grant limit is £30,000, although the amount you receive is decided by an assessment of your finances, which considers your income and savings.
If you receive the following benefits, you won't have to contribute towards the cost:
- guaranteed pension credit
- housing benefit
- income related employment support allowance
- income based job seekers allowance
- working tax credit with an annual income less than £15,050
- child tax credit with an annual income less than £15,050
- adaptations for children and young people are no longer means tested, so a grant is available up to a £30,000 maximum
The kind of work covered by the grant includes providing:
- easier access inside the house, for example, providing stair lifts, widening of doorways
- downstairs bathroom facilities
- ramps and handrails
- showers with wheelchair access
All requests for major adaptations are assessed by occupational therapists from North Yorkshire County Council. Please visit www.northyorks.gov.uk/disabilities for more information.
Help for council tenants
If you're a Harrogate Borough Council tenant, there's a separate service for adaptations and you can find out more by reading our adaptations policy for council tenants with disabilities. To apply for an adaptation to your home, fill in the adaptations application form and return it to your local housing office.
Page last updated 28/03/2018