Better Homes Harrogate is our energy efficiency scheme. Our aim is to help local people live in warmer, healthier homes and have lower bills.

Better Homes is our recommended provider of home improvements such as insulation and new boilers.

Upgrade to an A-rated gas or oil boiler with Better Homes

Energy Saving Grants

If your household income is less than £35,000 you may qualify for a grant for home insulation or an interest-free loan for a new boiler.

This scheme is funded by the West Yorkshire Combined Authority.

City of York council are running the scheme for Harrogate, Craven, Selby and York councils. Please call 01904 552300 to find out more.

Are you eligible?

Your home must be suitable for insulation or need a new boiler. Your total household income must be less than £35,000.

Plus either:

  • you live in one of the eight target wards
  • your home has a rating of E, F or G on an Energy Performance Certificate

If you have an energy rating of D on an Energy Performance Certificate, you are eligible if:

  • you are over 60, or have children under 16 in your household
  • you have a chronic illness which is affected by the cold

The target wards are

  • Granby
  • High Harrogate
  • Low Harrogate
  • New Park
  • Ripon Minster
  • Saltergate
  • Starbeck
  • Woodfield

Put your postcode in our In My Area search to find out which ward you live in.

Disabled Facilities Grant recipients are automatically eligible for this energy efficiency scheme, if your DFG contribution is less than £500.

What help is available?

This scheme provides

  • 75% of the cost of insulation measures if your household income is between £20,000 - £35,000
  • free insulation if your household income is less than £20,000
  • if you need a new boiler you can get an interest free loan to cover the cost. The loan is repayable in affordable monthly instalments. This loan is only available to home owners
  • if you rent from a private landlord, you are eligible for the insulation measures but not for boilers. Your landlord will need to agree and contribute 25% of the cost of the installation

What is your Home Energy Efficiency rating?

If you have recently bought or rented your home, you will already have an Energy Performance Certificate, which shows your rating. Check it by visiting or you can work out your rating using this online home energy check survey by visiting

Contact details

The grant scheme is administered in our area by City of York Council. If you think you may qualify, call them on 01904 552300.

Page last updated 27/10/2017