Get a unique insight into what we do and how we do it by doing a work experience placement with us.
Every year we offer work experience placements to secondary schools students, students in further or higher education or people wishing to get some experience of a different kind of workplace and people wanting to develop their employability skills. The length of placements varies from one day to a few weeks depending on the type of work experience you require.
Placements for 2018
In 2018 we will be offering secondary school students the following placements. The closing date for applying for a placement is 15 December 2017.
- one placement in Human Resources during May, June or July
- one placement in Organisational Development during May, June or July
- one placement in Policy and Performance during May, June or July
- three placements in Customer Services during May, June or July
- two placements in ICT on 25-29 June and 16-20 July
- three placements at the Harrogate Convention Centre on 25-29 June, 2-6 July, 9-13 July. Placements are suitable for students from Year 12 onwards
- three placements in Corporate Workplace Facilities during May, June or July
- one placement in Finance during July only
- one placement in Planning and Development during May, June or July
- one placement in Bereavement Services during May, June or July
- one placement at Ripon Leisure Centre (Culture, Tourism and Sport) during May, June or July
- one placement at Nidderdale Pool and Leisure Centre (Culture, Tourism and Sport) during May, June or July
- two placements at The Hydro (Culture, Tourism and Sport) during May or July only
- one placement at the Tourist Information Centre (Harrogate) (Culture, Tourism and Sport) during May, June or July
If you would like to take up a work experience placement with us we would love to hear from you. Simply complete our work experience enquiry form. We will check the availability of the placement(s) and respond to you as soon as possible.
Take a look at what secondary schools students had to say about the work experience they had with the council:
“It's not very often I wake up in the morning and feel like I am actually alive, but this past week I have been going to sleep in excitement and waking up in anticipation for the next day to come of my experience… I can confidently say that the stereotypes I thought of a council, of formality and ‘no fun’ policies…have been smashed for me in every way, and the true integrity of the community within the departments has left a lasting impression.”
“I feel much more confident, for when I go into a work place, full time. I feel this experience has really given me an insight into what I would like to do in the future. I will miss being at the council; being at school made me realise how much I enjoyed working at the council”
“What a fantastic placement. Lovely people who made me really welcome. I have learned more then I do in a term at school. The placement was tailored to meet my interests and I had an amazing time!”
Page last updated 02/11/2017