A hackney carriage (taxi) or private hire vehicle can only be driven by someone holding a current hackney carriage/private hire driver's licence.
You must have held a full driving licence for 12 months before applying.
All drivers must comply with the Rules and Regulations for Hackney Carriage/Private Hire. The rule book covers everything from byelaws to mechanical testing. Conditions of licence tells new taxi drivers what is expected of them.
How to apply
You must obtain an application pack from the licensing team at Springfield House, King's Road, Harrogate HG1 5NX.
The pack contains:
- an information sheet detailing how to complete the forms
- Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) enhanced disclosure application - convictions policy
- DBS consent form - allows the council to use the DBS disclosure in deciding the application
- DVLA fee paying enquiry form
- Harrogate Borough Council application form
- medical questionnaire
- knowledge and locality test information sheet
- conditions of licence, to be signed by the applicant before the licence is granted
Page last updated 08/09/2017