Street trading is defined as selling any article in the street, including food. Food traders must also get a food business registration from their local environmental health office.

You're not allowed to carry out street trading in some streets, so you should check with us.

You don't need a street trading consent if you are:

  • trading as a pedlar under a licence issued by a police authority
  • a market trader operating at a licensed market venue
  • a news vendor selling only newspapers and periodicals
  • if you're trading on private land you may not need a consent, so contact us to check. The landowner may need planning permission; you are advised to contact the local planning office


Guidance and application forms are available in the street trading pack.

Fees are

Daily fee £75.00
Weekly fee £108.00
Monthly fee cancelled*
3 monthly fee cancelled*
6 monthly fee cancelled*
Annual fee cancelled*

* Policy no longer permits

For more information, please contact us.

Enquiries form

Page last updated 13/04/2017