We welcome pre-application discussions before you submit a formal planning application. The process aims to take some of the uncertainty out of the process and allows applicants to make more informed decisions when considering development proposals.
The pre-application advice service offers you constructive and without prejudice advice on the likelihood of your proposal receiving planning permission.
The level of advice you'll receive will be based on the level of information you submit to us. The more information you can provide about your proposal the more comprehensive the advice you will receive.
Our guidance covers:
- why it's a good idea to seek pre-planning advice
- the information you need to give us
- how to make an application
- how to pay
What you'll pay
The fees in respect of different types of development are set out below, together with a note of the level of service the authority will provide in each case. If you have any difficulty assessing within which category your proposal falls, please contact Customer Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 01423 500600.
Category 1 Householder pre-application advice
- definition - any development which relates to the extension, improvement or alteration of an existing residential dwelling
- service - a written reply within four weeks of the receipt of the enquiry and the fee
- charge £72.00
Category 2 Small minor pre-application advice
- definition - 1 - 3 dwellings or up to 100 m2 of floor space
- service - a written reply will be provided within 4 weeks of the receipt of the enquiry and the fee. (Meetings can be arranged where necessary at a cost of £103.00 per meeting)
- charge £246.00
Category 3 Large minor pre-application advice
- definition - 9 dwellings or creation of 100 - 999 m2 of floor space
- service - one meeting* with planning officer and specialists as necessary and a written reply within 4 weeks of the receipt of the enquiry and the fee
- charge £400.00
Category 4 Major pre-application advice
- definition - 10 - 49 dwellings, creation of 1000 - 4999 m2 of floor space, or for sites of between 0.5ha and 4.99ha
- service - written reply and up to 3 meetings* with planning offices and specialists as necessary with initial meeting being arranged within 15 working days of the receipt of the enquiry and the fee
- charge £1230.00
Category 5 Large major pre-application advice
- definition - 50+ dwellings or 5000+m2 of floor space or for sites 5.0ha and over
- service - written reply and up to 6 meetings* with planning officers and specialists as necessary with initial meeting being arranged with 15 working days of receipt of the enquiry and the fee
- charge **£2337.00
*Any additional meetings attended by a planning officer can be arranged at a charge of £103.00 per meeting for minor development proposals (Categories 1, 2 and 3) and £205.00 for major development proposals (Categories 4 and 5)
**Where a Planning Performance Agreement is required the fee will need to fairly reflect the amount of officer time involved and could be more than £2337.00. This will need to be discussed and agreed with the Planning Authority at the outset
Page last updated 08/09/2017