Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Our planning enforcement team is working as close to normal as possible and site visits are being carried out once again. However, if you have reports of suspected unauthorised development, you should submit photographic evidence via email please to [email protected]

The planning system respects people's freedom to use or alter their property as they wish, within certain rules. And some minor development doesn't need permission from us at all. This is called “permitted development” because it's excluded by law or is so minor that it's of no concern.

What we can investigate

  • the erection, extension, alteration or demolition of buildings
  • changes of use of land or buildings
  • advertising signs
  • works to trees protected by tree preservation orders
  • works to trees in conservation areas
  • hedges in the countryside
  • works on listed buildings
  • breaches of planning permission conditions

What we can't investigate

  • abandoned vehicles
  • dangerous structures
  • development on highways/pavements
  • fly-tipping
  • land boundaries or ownership disputes
  • neighbour disputes
  • smells, noise and pollution
  • works to party walls

Before you ask us to investigate any possible unauthorised development, use the Public Access database to check if the development has planning permission, or if it has conditions attached.

You can complete our online form to report unauthorised development and ask us to investigate. How we will do this and what is possible (Planning Enforcement is a discretionary not compulsory power) are detailed in our Local Enforcement Plan. Your name won't be disclosed but there will be times when the source of the complaint is apparent to those involved.

Local Enforcement Plan

Enforcement enquiries form

Enforcement register

You can check the register of notices to see where enforcement action has been taken.

Planning enquiries form

Page last updated 08/06/2020