If you're planning work to your home, here are some publications and websites that offer useful guidance.


LABC, a not-for-profit membership organisation that represents all local authority building control teams in England and Wales, has produced a How to Get it Right guide for people thinking of building a conservatory.

Party walls

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 provides a framework for preventing and resolving disputes in relation to party walls, boundary walls and excavations near neighbouring buildings. There's guidance for carrying out work under the act, and it tells you what to do if your neighbour tells you they're about to carry out work.


Accessibility by design (includes means of escape) a standards guide is published by the LABC.


Clients, designers, contractors and others involved with construction work all have duties under the construction (design and management) regulations 2007. Under these regulations, certain construction work must be notified to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).

Page last updated 18/05/2020