If you intend to demolish a building you must give us at least six weeks' notice before starting work.

You must apply by filling in a demolition notice form. Fees are chargeable for work covered by the building regulations. The fee is normally £140 plus VAT, but you should contact us for advice on 01423 556555 or 01423 558124. If you use our building control services for any redevelopment of the site this fee will be deducted from any building control fees.


You can pay by debit or credit card online.

Other requirements

Demolition work must comply with the construction (design and management) regulations 2007 and a health and safety plan produced by the principal contractor.

If the property to be demolished is in a conservation area, you'll also need to apply for planning consent. Elsewhere, prior notification under the planning regulations may be required. Please contact customerservices@harrogate.gov.uk for guidance.

We will notify:

  • Health and Safety Executive
  • gas
  • electricity
  • water
  • fire officer
  • various council departments

Page last updated 02/08/2018