The local land charges team process searches, which are an important part of the process of buying and selling property and land. A search ensures that there are no hidden surprises awaiting buyers.

The team is also responsible for the registration of local land charges and maintenance of the local land charges register.

Requesting an official search

Requests can be submitted by emailing with payment then to be made by either debit or credit card, electronically via the National Land Information Service NLIS, TM or in hard copy by post. Full instructions are available on the local land charge search forms. Your solicitor will have these or you can buy them from law stationers.

Important information

The Law Society Con 29 Enquiries of Local Authorities (2016) forms came into use from 4 July 2016.

All requests submitted to us should be accompanied by the correct forms and the appropriate fee.

Harrogate Borough Council local land charges search fees from 1 April 2019

Please note, CON29 and CON 29O products submitted to the Local Authority will be considered to be subject to VAT at the standard rate of 20%.

Our search fees for all requests received from 1 April 2019 onwards are as follows and all requests submitted from this date should be accompanied by the correct fee, including VAT.

Full search - LLC1/Con 29 (residential): £101.40 (including VAT)
Full search - LLC1/Con 29 search (non-residential): £199.20 (including VAT)
Additional parcels of land: £19.60 (including VAT)
Con 29O optional enquiries: £22.20 (including VAT)
Additional enquiries: £22.20 (including VAT)
LLC1 only £25.08
Con 29 required enquiries only (residential): £76.32 (including VAT)
Con 29 required enquiries only (non-residential): £174.12 (including VAT)

See frequently asked questions concerning Con 29O (question 8)

Frequently asked questions regarding land charges

Search processing times

The average processing time for all search requests completed in January was approximately four working days.

Personal searches

The Law Society, which regulates solicitors, encourages the use of official searches and considers that alternative personal searches of the statutory register, disclosing only limited information, should only be undertaken with the client's approval when time doesn't permit official searches. You're advised to confirm with your solicitor that an official search has been undertaken and to inspect the certificate of official search.

Request a personal search

Guides from the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government

Buying a home in England and Wales
Selling a home in England and Wales

Page last updated 06/02/2020