The council produces a number of local planning and design guidance documents to help applicants and developers use various policies in the current Local Plan. Please be aware that some documents hold more weight than others, so make sure you check to see which ones apply to your application.
Guidance note on changes to affordable housing and planning obligations May 2017
This document explains how changes made to national planning policy guidance impact upon the council's application of existing affordable housing policy within Harrogate district and commuted sums for the provision of open space and village halls in new housing development. The document can be viewed by following the downloads button below.
Affordable housing planning guidance November 2015
The document Negotiating Affordable Housing Planning Contributions (November 2015) provides planning guidance on how affordable housing policy should be applied to proposals for residential development. The guidance expands upon that already provided in the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) and the reasoned justification to saved policy H5 of the Harrogate District Local Plan. This guidance replaces the affordable housing planning guidance that was published by the council in May 2007. It was approved for use by the council's Cabinet Member for Planning and Sustainable Transport on 25 November 2015. The aim of this guidance is to provide a consistent and clear approach to the delivery of affordable housing across the district.
Please note that this guidance does not reflect the changes to affordable housing and planning obligations which were introduced by the Written Ministerial Statement of 28 November 2014 and the subsequent amendments to national planning policy guidance. As such this guidance should be read in conjunction with the above: Guidance Note on Changes to Affordable Housing and Planning Obligations (May 2017).
Also note that the fee scale and terms and conditions given on page 14 of the November 2015 Guidance have been superseded - current terms and conditions form, including the current scale of fees
Renewable and Low Carbon Energy SPD
The Renewable and Low Carbon Energy Planning Document (SPD) was adopted by the council on 14 January 2015 and is now a material consideration in the determination of planning applications. It provides detailed guidance for the application of Core Strategy policies EQ1, EQ2 and EQ4 in relation to renewable energy projects and also for the protection of the council's exceptionally high quality natural and built environment as well as national planning practice guidance for renewable and low carbon energy. You can download a copy of the SPD below:
Consultation has previously been undertaken on a draft of the SPD and a consultation statement has been produced which includes a schedule summarising the comments received and the council's response including proposed changes to the SPD as a result of the consultation. An adoption statement is also available to view.
Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL):
The CIL allows local authorities in England and Wales to raise funds from developers undertaking new building projects in their area. The money can be used to fund a wide range of infrastructure that is needed as a result of development.
Authorities set out their CIL rates, expressed in pounds (£) per square metre, for different types of development in the district in a charging schedule. For more information on CIL please see the council's CIL page.
Supplementary Planning documents (SPD):
SPDs provide additional information about how policies contained within Development Plan documents (DPDs), can be taken forward. SPDs do not have to undergo independent examination, but the council must consult on the content of any SPD before it can be adopted and used as a material consideration in the determination of a planning application.
- Draft Harrogate Town Centre and Masterplan
- Provision of Open Space in Connection with New Housing Development SPD - revised Sept 2015
- Provision for Village Halls in Connection with New Housing Development SPD - revised Sept 2015
- Green Infrastructure SPD
- Heritage Management Guidance SPD
- Renewable and Low Carbon Energy SPD
- Guideline for Equestrian Development in the AONB (SPD) - published 2007
- House extensions and garages design guide (SPD) - published 2005
Supplementary Planning Guidance (SPG):
SPGs often cover general themes such as landscape, biodiversity and in some cases they may include site specific guidance. SPGs also undergo consultation, so carry the same weight as SPDs.
- Landscape Character Assessment (LCA)
- Landscape Design Guide published 1999
- Harrogate Biodiversity Action Plan (BAP)
- Biodiversity Design Guide published 1999
- Residential Design Guide published 1999
- Shop fronts Design Guide published 1999
- Harrogate District Telecommunications Strategy published 1999 this supplements the provisions of Policy CF10 to the Harrogate district Local Plan 2001
- Station Parade, Harrogate: Development Brief published 2005 (SPG). This document is compiled and includes a summary of comments upon its draft
Other Planning Guidance (OPG) and Guidance Notes:
These documents may provide more detail relating to a specific policy or area of planning, but they do not carry the same amount of weight as SPD and SPG.
- Policy on Developer Contributions to Education Facilities details the requirements for new housing developments of 25 or more units (net) to pay for new primary school classrooms where there is insufficient capacity. Prepared in conjunction with North Yorkshire County Council (as the local education authority)
- Guide to Policy CFX published 2004 Guidelines on this policy of the Selective Alteration to the Harrogate District Local Plan which seeks to protect Community Facilities in relation to new planning applications
- Sustainable Construction and Design: Guidance Note
- Conservation Area Appraisals; see also Article 4 Directions page
- The Control of Demolition in Conservation Areas published 2004
- Residential Conversions in Harrogate Town Centre published 1996 A guide for property owners
- The Re-use and Adaptation of Rural Buildings published 1992
- Farm Buildings Design Guide published 1986
- Countryside Hedgerows: guidance note
- Listed Buildings leaflet published 2011 published 2011 see also Listed Buildings page
- Historic Battlefields leaflet published 2003; see also Historic Battlefields page
- Scheduled Ancient Monuments leaflet published 2002; see also Scheduled Ancients Monuments page
- Historic Parks and Gardens leaflet published 2003; see also Historic Parks and Gardens page
- Developers guidance for land affected by contamination is provided by the Yorkshire and Lincolnshire Pollution Advisory Group (YALPAG) which we have adopted. Associated guidance is available for cover systems. Contamination Assessment: Screening Assessment form
- Safer Places: the planning system and crime prevention - published by Department for Communities and Local Government
Village Design Statements (VDS)
VDS are community prepared documents, which provide guidance to developers and individuals to help encourage design that will enhance and protect the individual character of the village.
- Darley VDS 2003
- Kirkby Malzeard VDS 2003
- Ripley VDS 2004
- Marton cum Grafton VDS: approved by the Cabinet Member (Planning, Transport and Economic Development) on 2 November 2011 as Supplementary Planning Guidance subject to minor changes, that is amending text from 'SPD' to 'SPG' and to include a replacement Appendix 1 to include up to date local planning policies. This should be read in conjunction with the council's own Marton cum Grafton Conservation Area Appraisal also approved on 2 November 2011. For more information visit the Conservation Areas page
Page last updated 09/07/2018