Our Amateur Swimming Association-approved swimming development scheme operates at all five swimming pools in the district. It's taught by fully qualified and committed staff and is recognised as operating in line with the ASA national plan for teaching swimming.
For pre school children
Raindrops and Raintots - These lessons are for children aged 6 months to 3 years. The parent/carer is in the water providing one-to-one support. Lessons include structured play, songs and an introduction to basic swimming.
Children aged 4 plus
Each colour band in the rainbow, red through to gold, represents a level of swimming, combining stroke technique, water safety, water skills and stamina.
- red - children are introduced to a structured type of swimming class, with the emphasis on basic movement skills (multi stroke) - 5m - learn to swim stages 1 and 2 - duckling 5
- orange - children are introduced to a structured type of swimming class, with the emphasis on basic movement skills (multi stroke) - 10m - learn to swim stages 3 and 4
- yellow - consolidates previous learning and starts to refine the strokes on front and back - 25m and 50m - learn to swim stage 5
- green - the main focus is building confidence and competence in all strokes, targeting streamlining skills throughout - 100m - learn to swim stage 6
- blue - in this class, the strokes must now comply with ASA laws - 200m - learn to swim stage 7
- indigo - the focus is on efficient stroke technique and stamina work - 400m - learn to swim stage 8
- violet - we reinforce coaching and training principles - 800m - learn to swim stage 9
- gold - this class consolidates the competitive aspects of the sport - 1000m - learn to swim stage 10 - honours
We have lessons seven days a week at various times throughout the day. We operate lessons all year round including holidays (there is a two week break at Christmas), split into 4 blocks per year. Lessons are booked and paid for per block or via monthly direct debit.
Page last updated 19/09/2017