Owner-occupiers, private tenants and tenants of registered social landlords can apply for the disabled facilities grant to help with adapting homes to meet the needs of disabled children or adults living in their household.

Anyone who is considering applying should contact social services initially on 01609 780780.

The current grant limit is £30,000, although the amount you receive depends on a financial test that looks at your income and capital. This will decide how much you can afford to pay towards the cost of the work.

You would have to pay for any work over the upper limit, as well as any financial contribution due to the test of financial circumstances.

Anyone receiving the following benefits won't have to contribute towards the cost of work:

  • guaranteed pension credit
  • housing benefit
  • income-related employment support allowance
  • income-based jobseeker's allowance
  • working tax credit with an annual income less than £15,050
  • child tax credit with an annual income less than £15,050
  • adaptations for children and young people are no longer means tested, therefore a grant is available up to a £30,000 maximum

The sort of work covered by the grant may include providing:

  • easier access inside the house, for example, stair lifts and widening of doorways
  • a downstairs bathroom
  • ramps and handrails
  • showers with wheelchair access

All major adaptation requests have to be independently assessed by occupational therapists from North Yorkshire County Council. They can also help with minor adaptations, such as grab rails and bathing aids. Please see www.northyorks.gov.uk/disabilities for more details about the services the county council can offer.

Home energy efficiency measures

Some disable facilities grant recipients can also get free home energy efficiency improvements where needed, such as loft and wall insulation, through a separate grant funded by the West Yorkshire Combined Authority. These measures make homes warmer and healthier and help to reduce heating bills. Eligibility for these measures will be assessed at the same time as the disabled facilities grant.

Borough council tenants

There is a separate service for adaptations for tenants of Harrogate Borough Council. If you live in a council-owned property, see the separate adaptations for the disabled page.

Page last updated 02/07/2018