There will be a Parliamentary election on Thursday 8 June 2017.

Electors for the European Union will not be eligible to vote at the General Election on 8 June 2017.

You need to have registered by midnight on Monday 22 May 2017.

Postal vote applications need to be in by 5pm on Tuesday 23 May 2017 and proxy applications by 5pm on Wednesday 31 May 2017.

Postal ballot papers could be issued between Monday 22 and Tuesday 30 May 2017.

Poll cards will be issued on Tuesday 9 May 2017 from data as at Monday 24 April 2017.

Postal packs will be issued on Thursday 18 May to overseas electors and to UK addresses on Monday 22 May 2017 from postal applications processed before Tuesday 2 May 2017.

All other postal packs will be issued on Tuesday 30 May 2017.

Register to vote at

Statement of Persons Nominated and Notice of Poll - Harrogate and Knaresborough Constituency
Statement of Persons Nominated and Notice of Poll - Skipton and Ripon Constituency
Statement of Persons Nominated and Notice of Poll - Selby and Ainsty Constituency

Notice of Election - Agents' names and offices

List of polling stations

Election expenses limits

Notice of Election

Information for candidates

Information for voters

General Election information on Craven District Council website
General Election information on Selby District Council website

Electoral enquiries

There are three parliamentary constituencies within Harrogate district:

  • Harrogate and Knaresborough
  • Skipton and Ripon (part)
  • Selby and Ainsty (part)

Each constituency has its own Member of Parliament.

To stand for UK Parliamentary elections, a candidate must not be disqualified from holding office and

  • must be British or Commonwealth citizen or a citizen of the Republic of Ireland; and
  • be 18 years of age or more on the date of nomination and, if there is a poll, on the day of the election
  • In order to stand for election, a candidate must submit a nomination paper signed by ten electors for the constituency and lodge a deposit of £500, which may be refunded

In order to stand for a registered political party, a candidate must gain the party's permission. Political parties have their own various eligibility criteria and selection procedures.

Candidates wishing to establish a new political party must submit the required information to the Electoral Commission.

Guidance on this, the nomination procedure and the election process generally is available in the candidates guides published by the Electoral Commission. These deal with the incurring of expenses, role of election agents and other assistants and detail political election offences.

Under the provisions of the Fixed Parliaments Act 2011, general election must be held every five years, beginning in 2015.

Electoral enquiries

Page last updated 12/05/2017